The Toledo Cinema in Clarkston Road, Muirend, was an imaginative Spanish-American style creation by William Beresford Inglis, with the exterior's hacienda theme continued inside.
A year after its opening in 1933, the Toledo was taken over by Associated British Cinemas. Several attempts by its owners to close it in the 1960s and 1970s were thwarted by local campaigners. In 1982 the number of screens was trebled, and soon afterwards the cinema was renamed the Cannon.
After years of neglect by ABC, the South Side's last remaining suburban cinema finally closed its doors in 2001. Hopefully, listed building status will at least allow the impressive facade to be retained.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/667
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives