The Oxford Cafe Concert Hall, in Cowcaddens Street at the corner of Hope Street, was a public house which provided entertainment. In 1898 it acquired a bad reputation and was closed down and a new owner, Gray Edmiston, renovated and reopened the building as the Alexandra Music Hall. The programme for the opening night, shown here, featured T W Royal, comedian and speciality clog dancer.
In January 1899 Arthur Hubner took over and changed the name to the Royal Music Hall, but in May the theatre closed and reverted to a public house.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection, G 792 MUS
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives