John Burns, First Baron Inverclyde (1829-1901) was a ship owner.
Burns was the son of Sir George Burns, a founder of the shipping company G & J Burns and a partner in the Cunard Steamship Co. John Burns assumed control of the family businesses in 1860 and was a key figure in the reconstruction and flotation of Cunard (he became the companyís chairman) in 1878. During the 1890s, Burns allowed his sons George and James to take increasing responsibilities for the management of the Glasgow-based family businesses. He inherited his fatherís Baronetcy in 1890 and was created a Baron in 1897.
As an honorary lieutenant in the RNVR, Burns was involved in setting up a training ship scheme which was established on HMS Cumberland. He travelled widely, and was a Fellow of The Royal Geographical Society.
Reference: Mitchell Library, 920.04BAI
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning